Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Your Twisted Shell

I went to the Atkins District Library for the first time in a long while. Remember that? Yeah, good times.

Then I got jumped from behind.

Soren and Fiona were with me. Didn't matter. I could see as I regained my focus that there were more than just two agents this time. Actually, there were six, including Lowe and Marten from way back when.

Shitheads and vengeance. Not a great combination.

Then Soren kind of... snapped. He took Marten, the one who had grabbed him, by the wrist. He twisted hard and quick. Something crunched. Marten stared at his wrist. It wasn't supposed to bend like that.

The other agents started to walk towards Soren. He looked up and gave them a smile that froze them in their tracks. It was cold and sharp like a butcher's knife.

Soren calmly got up and punched him in the stomach. As Marten was doubling over, Soren elbowed him in the head. He must have hit something important, because the agent crumpled like a tin can. Soren leaned down beside Marten, took the gun from his belt, and held it in the air.

"Well?" said Soren as the agents stared at him. "What now?"
Lowe backed away. "Who the hell are you supposed to be anyways? Some kind of runner?"
"You could say that." Soren advanced on Lowe, who continued walking backwards.
He tripped on something and fell to the ground.
Soren stared down at Lowe. "You're pathetic. You can't even run away without making a fool of yourself." He tossed the gun back to Lowe. "Noisy things, guns. Unreliable, as well. Now..." He turned to address the rest of the agents. "I would advise you run."

To make a long story short: they did.

"What the hell?" I asked Soren after the agents had cleared out and Fiona and I had stood up. Soren hadn't bothered helping us to our feet.
"I took care of the problem." He shrugged and gave a callous smile. "Can't make an omelette without breaking a few bones. Or something like that."
"...You're not Soren," I said, eyes narrowed. "You're the Unforgivable." I backed away.
Fiona stared at me. "What are you talking about?"
"He's not Soren, he's... I don't know, possessed. One of those Fears Soren was talking about was possessing me, and now she's possessing him. Her name is the Unforgivable."
"Took you long enough," said the Unforgivable in Soren's body. She smiled and stalked forward. "Does it really matter? I took care of things. I'm the only friend you have." She jabbed a finger at me. "You are a pathetic, miserable little inchworm."
"Give Soren his body back," I said.
"You deign to command me?" asked the Unforgivable. "You really are delusional." She walked away.

The Panopticon haven't come after us at all since then. I guess they assumed the Unforgivable was our ally. Didn't want to make them angry. In a way, she kind of is, although I get the distinct feeling she only protects me from other threats so she can break me herself.

Still. Gift horse, mouth, you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment