Saturday, December 7, 2019

Walk All Over You

Last night, something happened in my dreams. I was standing on a riverbank by the side of a black creek. It was dark, with no stars. The moonlight was only enough to see by.

The Unforgivable stood in front of me. Her back was turned. She turned to face me as I advanced on her. There was a mask of decay covering the face she stole from me.

I began to walk forward.

"If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times," she said, "I am eternal. I am death."
"You're full of shit is what you are." I threw a punch. It connected with her diseased, sickening face. I can't remember if I felt or heard her nose break first.
"So be it," said the Unforgivable as she stepped backwards. "If you want to look yourself in the eye and kill the body I took from you, then do so. I can always find another host."
I ignored her. I punched her again. Her nose bled.
She beckoned to me. "Come, then. What is it you fear?"

I shook my head, turned away, and walked.

The Unforgivable appeared before me. "There is no winning, Shan Cassidy. We are inside your dream, and I control your mind. Or have you forgotten so easily?"

Tendrils of shadow burst from the ground where I was about to walk. Everywhere I turned, more tendrils. Soon enough, I was trapped.

"No more running," growled the Unforgivable. "I don't need you alive, but I don't want you dead. Just get in line and do as you're told already."

That was when I woke up.

I know I can't go on like this. I can't let the Unforgivable control me. I have to return to Soren and Fiona sooner or later. And that's exactly what I'll do.

I only strayed far enough from home that I wouldn't pose a threat to Fiona and Soren's safety, and I'm a quick runner. It won't take too long to get back.

The Unforgivable keeps speaking in my mind. You're worthless. They don't want you. They certainly don't want me. But I'm doing my best to ignore it, as difficult as that can be sometimes.

She's never hurt anyone in my body. I think she's gotten attached to me, in her own twisted way. If she did want to hurt Soren and Fiona, I have no doubt she could, instead of just driving me away from them. I'm tough and I'm quick when push comes to shove. I've dealt with small-town bullies before, after all. In my body, she could do some damage. But she won't. She wants to manipulate me, and I won't let her do that anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is... Unforgivable, I'm calling your bluff, and I'm sick of your shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment