Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Among The Living

I was at Barry's yesterday, cleaning up after everyone else had left. (As you may have guessed, I failed to keep my job at the library after I disappeared for several weeks and refused to explain why. Luckily, Barry took pity on me and offered me some work.)

The Unforgivable was sitting at a table in the corner and staring at me. I had no idea when she showed up. She smiled at me when our eyes met.

"Hello, Shan."
I walked over to her, repressing my urge to yell a long string of profanities instead. "What do you want?" I growled.
She smiled. "Meet me at the bridge at midnight tomorrow."
"What, North River Bridge? Why?"
"Of course I meant North River Bridge," she said, rolling her eyes. "As to why, I was curious as to whether you would be interested in a bargain. Here is my proposal: you let me take you over forever, and in exchange, I leave your friend's body. It would be exciting, wouldn't it, seeing if you can take back control? After all, your friend already lost his battle, as you can see."
"Soren. His name is Soren."
"I know what his name is," said the Unforgivable as she glared with the intensity of a psychic trying to light something on fire with their mind.  Probably me, all things considered. "I share a head with the idiot. His own name is bound to come up sooner or later."
"Prick," I muttered.
"My, my, cursing at a customer." The Unforgivable wore an expression of smug amusement. "They really let you do that? Maybe I should think about getting a job here."

I glanced around. Of course, there was nobody there. So I flipped her off.

With that, I went home to fill Fiona in on things. Admittedly, I still have to tell her about the Unforgivable's bargain, but I'm going to soon.

God. What do I do? This is stupid. This is so stupid. Of course I can't take her offer, but... Soren's still in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment